Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hello again...

The work continues.  Sometimes it seems to draaaaag.  Last week was like that.  A few days went by and nothing happened.  Then the drywallers were back and got finished, and Gerald was able to start painting.  Normally that is a long process, but since the prep work was all done, the painting went really fast. The windows were still covered with the vapour barrier, so Gerald was able to spray on the primer and ceiling paint, while the kids backrolled.


This week the tile is going in.  It's looking really good!!  At least I think so. :)   The paint colour is darker than what I had in mind.  I never seem to get the colour right with the first try.   It looks fine in the dining room where there is lots of light, but a bit too dark in the kitchen where there is no natural light.  Most of that will be covered with light coloured cabinets, though, so it may be OK.  We'll wait to see how it looks with the cabinets in, and then decide if we need a lighter shade or not. Both the tile and the paint appear darker than they really are in this picture...


The boys getting a lesson on mixing the mortar...


They've been keenly following most of the work that has been going on, eager to get in and try it for themselves.  Last week when the drywallers were here, the boys were spreading peanut butter on their sandwiches and calling it drywall mud.  Now they are saying the mortar looks like peanut butter.  Don (the tile guy) was quick to tell them not to eat it!

Last week we all went on a tour of the place that is making our kitchen cabinets.  We got to see how they are made each step of the way, and got a peek at our own, which are mostly finished and waiting for us to be ready for them to be installed.  That is booked for next Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.   :)))))


A few more weeks and we should be moving back in.  Then the cleaning can start.  The entire house needs a good scrubbing from top to bottom.  It will feel SOOOO good to get everything back in order. 

Dressing up is always a favourite thing to do.  I'm not sure who/what the boys were supposed to be, but the lady in the pink crocs was a 'bad guy.'  When asked what a bad guy was, she told us, "A crook." :)

 Who taught her that?  When asked, she said in a whisper behind the back of her hand, "Mommy."  I don't recall ever telling her about crooks.  Just proves that you can't trust a bad guy.  Especially if he's wearing pink crocs.

I should explain a little more about the lists that I made for the kids, mentioned in my last post.  I made the lists myself, just from things I felt they should know.  Some of the things they've been taught before.  Thus the frustration, since it hasn't all stuck.  I confess that a part of my plan is to offer a reward when they have mastered something.  The reward is a roll of rocket candy.  My kids rarely get candy, and almost never from us, so for them this is special and ample reward for putting out some extra effort.  I know Charlotte Mason would not approve of rewards. :(  Oh well.  It saves me having to remember to work on everything, since they are motivated to work on it themselves.  Of course, I need to set aside time to train and test them.  Today, most of the middle/younger ones learned to fry an egg.  Next time they do it, they will do it without help and if they do well, they will have mastered the skill and receive their reward.  That skill was actually rewarding enough in itself, as they each got to enjoy an egg fried to perfection by their own effort, which of course makes it taste that much better.  Other things they need to learn (like the books of the Bible in order) require more effort and then the reward helps them to push themselves to mastery. 

'Till next time,

6 comments:

Vanderpolclan said...

I love the wall color and the tile. It looks great together. I am sure the kitchen area will light up a bit once the kitchen is in there. Can't wait to see it.

Cindy

jennstar said...

I like the colors - especially if you have light cabinets because it will provide contrast. :) The tile looks wonderful - and easy to clean! The closets are HUGE!
It looks like the kids are really learning a lot through this process. I am sure you are really looking forward to having that new kitchen it! It will be so nice for you all to sit in that bright dining room over the winter. :)
Jenny

MVD said...

Looks great! I'm sure it will look fabulous with your new cabinets in! The color won't look nearly as dark once all the light cabinets are in!

Ingrid said...

The Babywise people approve of rewards for exactly the purpose that you're using them-for achieving appropriate goals.

So it's 'allowed' :D

And it makes sense-we all work harder if there's a reward in sight, don't we?

Unknown said...

Frist time visiting your blog...just wanted to say HI, your family is beautiful...can't wait to read more on here :)
Nicole

Carmen said...

Hi Nicole,
Thanks for visiting. It's always nice to hear from readers.
Blessings,
Carmen