Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Some pictures at last...

We've been busy, busy, busy.  Painting, cleaning and cleaning and cleaning, moving in, trying to stay out of the workers' way, and now getting the many finishing touches done.  It's been a terribly long and short summer.  Long because it's been so much work and we're tired.  Short because we haven't really taken a break to enjoy it being summer.  And now summer is almost over.  This is certainly a summer that will stand out in our minds.  It's been overwhelming - busy, stressful, exciting and rewarding but exhausting.

Was it all worth it?  Yes, for sure.  We're enjoying having space to move without banging into someone, we're enjoying our bright, airy dining room, our large kitchen designed for many hands working together, our wide front hallway, and once we get the mudroom set up, I know we'll enjoy having that, too.

Would we do it again?  Let's just say that I hope we won't, ever.

Here are some 'before' pictures of the kitchen...


Good riddance to that, I say!

Hello, new kitchen...


It isn't quite finished.  The gap you see between the ceiling and crown mould (due to an uneven ceiling height) has to be filled, the pantry closet doors will be painted to match the kitchen cabinets, and my new (to me) stove is waiting for a new power cord (its previous owner had it hardwired), and once we have put a sealer on the backsplash tile, we'll get the outlet covers on.


Here's a picture that shows a truer colour of the backsplash tile...


Our very sunshiny dining room...



The widened front hall...


The laundry room.  Just a laundry room.  That's what makes it special.  It is not an entry way, so there will be no boots and shoes to trip over and no dirt on the floor to drop the laundry on.  :)


So there you have it.  I didn't take a picture of the bathroom.  As yet it only has the absolute necessities in it so it's not really picture-worthy.  I haven't taken a picture of the mudroom, either, since it is empty while we finish painting it and consider the best way to set up coat hooks and boot/shoe shelves, and places for mittens and scarves, bike helmets and maybe even a bench to sit on while putting on boots.

Once the main floor is finished, we'll be working on the new part of the basement.  We need to paint and will be putting in some laminate flooring.  And after that, we'll be getting some siding on the outside, hopefully before winter.  And after that... Ha!  The work never ends. :)  But hopefully somewhere in there we'll take a day or two off and do something fun with the kids. 

20 comments:

Ingrid said...

WOW!!! I love it. Enjoy!

Jen said...

It's absolutley gorgeous - my mouth fell open in awe!
I understand your feelings towards kitchen renovations. I think they are, by far, the hardest one to live through.
I also love your laundry room - I look forward to the day when our washer and dryer are in the same room :)

Anita said...

WOW!! It looks fantastic!! I can't believe the transformation. You've all done a lovely job!

Derrick & Jeanette deBoer said...

What beautiful rooms! All those windows in the dining room! Enjoy it!
Jeanette dB

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing, enjoy! I love the windows,you'll enjoy all the extra light. Love your kitchen too...
Adriana P

Anonymous said...

just beautifull carmen .. enjoy...

Mary said...

It looks beautiful! I love your sunny diningroom.

Jonathan and Denise said...

Wow Carmen! It looks fabulous. I love all the windows (until I'd have to clean them;)). I'd say it's all worth it! (easy for me to say I suppose:)) Enjoy!

Lisa said...

It looks fantastic Carmen! I love your pendant lights over the island. And I have the same tile backsplash - I love it! We never did seal it, and it's been fine, but probably a good idea anyway :) When we did our kitchen I loved coming downstairs in the morning and turning on the lights... it made me smile for a long time!

Cinnamon said...

Wow!! You must love waking up to all that beautiful sunshine in the morning. LOVE those kitchen windows. Beautiful. You have all worked so hard and it's turned out gorgeous.

I'll have to show my husband as he's contemplating doing something with our kitchen/entry way.

~Cinnamon

jen said...

Beautiful!!! :-) Looks amazing and like so much fun to work in!

Vanderpolclan said...

The colors tie in sooo nicely. I love how bright and open it is. And the counter space. Enjoy :)

Cindy

Jenn VD said...

Oh Carmen! It is so lovely and spacious! I hope it will be a real blessing to your family and that the renovation woes will soon be a distant memory:-)

HeatherVMS said...

Amazing! You all must just love cooking and cleaning in there right now! Enjoy your new kitchen and lovely dining room!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
I can't help but be just a little bit jealous. But, I am very happy for you and your beautiful large family!!

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Trying not to be jealous! Your kitchen is magazine worthy! I'm in love.

jennstar said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!
The kitchen, dining, entry, hall,and laundry all look like efficient, bright, and easy to clean work spaces. I am sure you are enjoying it all after your upheaval.
I must say, your project seemed to go fast and to always look tidy (of course, that could have just been the choice of pictures ;)
It suits you, Carmen. :)
Jenny

KellyinPA said...

It's beautiful! I love the tile floor, should be so easy to clean.
Enjoy your new space making wonderful memories with your family.

♥ Amy said...

Wow, so beautiful! I love your choices. And from someone who craves sunshine likes there's no tomorrow, oh, how I would savor every moment spent in your bright and spacious dining room. Looks like a wonderful place to eat, learn, and enjoy family times!

Stacey N. said...

Wow! What a transformation..it's stunning! I have the same pendant lights in our dining room :) That sunny dining room will be a joy I'm sure!!