Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

What a day...

Thanks to those who knew and remembered it was my birthday yesterday and sent their well-wishes. We had a fine day, although it was not as quiet and relaxed as I had hoped.  I'll explain why, but first have a look at the lovely mugs I received.  They are begging for someone to stop by for a coffee... :)


And then...

A  neighbour phoned, wondering if we had gotten another dog yet.  I said, "Nooooo," wondering as I said it what she had in mind.  It turns out that another neighbour had a puppy hanging around for awhile and they were wondering whose it was.  They had been inquiring around and had not come across anyone who was missing him.  Then she asked, "Do you want a puppy?"
 
Hmmmm.  We were planning to find a suitable dog, but not until spring when the kids would be outside with it more. Warren came down with dog fever a while ago and has been hoping ever so much to get a dog.  So we went over to have a look at him.  And, well, we just couldn't say no.

So much for the relaxed day. 

We brought him home and he received a warm and excited reception. 

He's obviously a mixed breed.  By his long and slender snout, I would say he has some collie in him.


His colouring suggests a number of other possibilites.


He must have been out on his own for a while because his fur was matted with burrs all over, and it took us a good while to get him cleaned up.   He was so good through it...he just laid back and let us work without even a hint of a growl.
 


Who knows...his owners may show up and claim him.  It's possible, though, that he was dropped off on the side road and abandoned.  In which case he's ours for keeps.  While he's with us his name is Casper.

6 comments:

Jonathan and Denise said...

Happy Birthday Carmen! Glad you had a good, exciting, even if it wasn't a restful day! (do you ever have those;)) Hope you are doing well! I enjoy your updates.

Vanderpolclan said...

Oh, I love your cups. How good a cup of coffee would taste in one of those, if I could come for one :) I love pretty coffee cups. Of course, I think it is the company that comes with the coffee in those pretty cups that would be wonderful!!

Cindy

jennstar said...

Happy Birthday Carmen. I do hope that you had a special day...inspite of it being busy and getting a new puppy.
Your mugs are beautiful - I love the red stripey ones best...or maybe the solid ones...oh, I don't know. If they were mine I would feel like I had to try them all in turn (so none felt left out) and then I would settle down to a favorite that I used all the time. :)

The puppy looks nice and gentle. Our favorite dogs have been mixed breeds - they seem better tempered and steady.
Jenny

♥ Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Carmen! I LOVE your pretty mugs. So inviting!
And you sound like us when it comes to rescuing strays. The children sure enjoy it!

Household of Faith said...

Happy birthday Carmen! Hope you had a great day! Those mugs are really cute! And your family picture looks really nice!

Fruitful Harvest said...

I love it!

The dog looks like a Border Collie and Australian Sheperd Mix.

We adopted a stray dog from our local shelter and we named him Jasper.
My 11yr old loves the movie Casper and so we gave him the name Jasper.
His name means "Keeper of the Jewels"
I have 6 kiddos and he is a sheep herding dog...so it was perfect!

Dogs are so fun a can bring so much JOY!

Peace and Blessings,
Georgiann from THE GARDEN GATE (blog)