Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Keeping Track of Expenses 101

I've had a question about how I manage to keep track of our expenses.  In case the answer is of general interest, I'm posting it here.  If you're not interested, skip this post. ;)

When I get home from a shopping trip I place all of my receipts into a file folder.  Some purchases are grocery-only, and that makes it simple.  For receipts from Wal-Mart where you can buy anything from lettuce to linens to lawnmowers,  I try to note on the receipt what budget category an item belongs to before I place it in the folder.  If I don't do this right away, I often can't figure out what the item was.  To make this easier I keep items organized in my cart so that same-category items get scanned together, with all the grocery items going through last.  Some stores, like Superstore and No Frills, actually categorize and organize this for you. I'm really appreciating that!

I keep a scrap piece of paper in this file folder to jot down anything that has been paid with cash that I don't get receipts for. The trick there is to jot it down right away or it can easily get forgotten.

I bet you're wondering what these pictures have to do with this post...

I set aside time one afternoon each week to take care of our personal finances.  That's when I pay/file bills, balance the chequebook and total up and enter our expenses on the spreadsheet.  I put a check mark on each receipt that I have recorded so I don't count it twice (I'm easily confused) and when I'm done they get placed in other folders: ie. mastercard receipts in the m/c folder until I compare it to and pay the bill.

They're frozen assets. Heehee.
It really is that simple.  Just two key things to make it work: a folder to collect all the receipts and time set aside each week to enter the numbers on the spread sheet.

Hope that helps,
P.S. Superstore also notes on the bottom of the receipt how much money you saved by buying sale items and what percent of the cost that was.  Today I saved 29%!  Talk about a satisfying shopping trip. :)

4 comments:

Anita said...

Ha! I like your frozen assets joke! :-) I shall have to show it to Nick, he will like it too. :-)

Annie Kate said...

OK, so I've been using the folder (or actually, an envelope). It's the one afternoon a week I've been missing.... Duh!

Love your frozen assets. :)

No, we don't have any winterlude plans, although some of the kids are going today. Someday we'll pretend we're on holidays and we'll all go. :)

Annie Kate

HeatherVMS said...

Haha! Frozen assets!
I do all my bookkeeping once a week too; Monday is my day as most of our purchases are over the weekend anyways. So far this year I'm very on top of it(big change from last year!!) Doing it once a week saves so much headache time trying to figure it all out. I love that Superstore categorizes all their stuff, so handy!

Household of Faith said...

Like your picture...frozen assets! :) I don't keep track of expenses, but we do live on deals and sales. Maybe one day I shall keep track....I do like how Superstore catagorizes their items.