The blueprints for our addition are ready! It needs a few minor adjustments, but it's another step towards making this plan a reality. I don't know how much sense this picture will make to you if you are not familiar with the rest of the house. The part on this picture that is the addition is what is labelled dining room and mud room. The part labelled as kitchen is where we now have our laundry room, kitchen and a dining area. The dining area is, of course, far too small for our needs so we have been using the front room (labelled as family room) for our dining room. The edge of our (existing) livingroom is on the right side of the picture.
The working area of our kitchen will be WAY larger! Hurray! Notice the 8 ft. island. :) I am so looking forward to all this. The new laundry room will be sandwiched between the dining room and the mudroom. Yes, we'll actually have a mud room. Does anyone know why houses are built without them? A two-piece bathroom will be just outside the mudroom - handy when the kids are playing outside and need to make a trip in to use the facilities. For those who are familiar with how things are now, the bathroom that we have that opens rather inconveniently into the hallway between the front entrance and the kitchen will be taken out. We'll be putting a closet in there, and the hallway will end up being wider. We're hoping to start this project in the spring. I have no idea how we will cope while the kitchen and laundry room are being torn out. I don't know of any local gluten-free and dairy-free take out places (and if there were any, who could afford that?) and we don't have a laundromat in town. I'm not prepared to do laundry in the creek or cook over a campfire. Any ideas?





5 comments:
What about moving the appliances that are absolutely necessary to another place in the house for the time??? I know ppl who just set up the kitchen in the rec-room (it didn't have carpet yet. but you can put some plastic down if you are worried about the carpet). What about moving the fridge and stove to the 'family room'??? if there is room that is.
And dishes can be done anywhere. all you need is a dishtub, a kettle and a bunch of washers and dryers!!! ;)
have fun renovating!!!
-Emily W.
LOVE IT!!! So glad you added more windows in the dining room, because that will help light up the kitchen, especially on snowy days like today!! Another suggestion, put under cabinet lighting in. I love mine.
As far as laundry and things go, the above suggestion is great, although you don't have a lot of room. Maybe the garage can be used for the machines without too much trouble? I know you can do it - after all, we survived 9 weeks in our camper - doesn't that inspire you?????? Otherwise, you'll just have to make regular visits north ;))))
Cindy
WOW! Won't it be so nice when it's all done!
You can always come and do a few loads at my house! If you have enough freezer room, you can make some meals in advance! Happy Renovating!
Wow, that sounds exciting... but I don't envy you the process of getting there.
Too bad you don't live closer, you could wait until June and then use our house while we're (hopefully) gone. I know, it's small, but you'd have all functioning rooms ... just have to pitch a few tents for extra bedrooms :)
Canadian Tire sells these beautiful outdoor kitchens ... hey, you're renovating anyways, might as well make the best of it :)
All the best with your plans!
Oh, that looks wonderful! I love how big the kitchen looks - ready for lots of helpers :0)
Post a Comment