Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

I brought my kids to school...

...the Normal School, that is, although there is nothing ordinary about it.  Gerald has the privilege of painting in this magnificent building, and we went out to see it for ourselves.  WOW!



This place must have cost a fortune to build.  It's certainly costing a fortune to restore it.  From the slate roof right down to the ground, the exterior is getting restored to its original as well as can be done.


The first and second stories each have 15' ceilings.  The windows are amazing...and the light they let in....beautiful.




About half way up the bell tower there's a room surrounded by windows on all sides.  What a view!  And scary because the windows go right to the floor.





There were many names and dates etched onto the brick walls.  This was the oldest one we could find...


From that level there are very steep stairs going up to an open area.  As you go up the stairs, you can see sky and clouds above you.  Very unnerving.

I can't believe I actually climbed up there.  I do NOT like heights.  But Gerald said, "You can't come here and not go up the tower."

It was worth it.  Standing way up there, our feet in the snow and the wind on our faces....cool!



See...just to prove that I was there!!  I'm smiling (almost).  And my knees aren't even knocking together! 


Back down the stairs to where the little ones were waiting...


From the outside...



I still can't believe we were standing out in the open air way up there...


From the back...


Check this out.  From the open area where we climbed to, there is a ladder that goes up to the level with the flower shaped window. From there yet another ladder goes up the centre of the spire, and anyone daring to climb that could then open the hatch in the side and stick their head out. 


Wouldn't that make a great picture?

8 comments:

Lynnette VD said...

Hey that is right across the road from my work!! I is a beautiful building!!

Anita said...

What a fantastic building! How fun that your husband gets to poke around (work) in it! I can't remember seeing this building before. Is it in London? And what is it going to be used for? Thanks for another great blog post!

Carmen said...

Hi Anita,
Yes, it's in London, near the downtown area. As far as I understand it will be used for government offices.

Anonymous said...

I'm really curious as to where exactly this is in London. It looks w-a-y too familiar. If its the building I'm thinking of, it use to house the Catholic School Board about 20 years ago and I worked in this building for about a year.

Your sis, Heather

Rob said...

I think we should hire you to do the shingling on the steeple. :-D

Household of Faith said...

Wow...that is a neat building! Lots of history with a building like that. Nice plans for home renovations too!

Carmen said...

Heather - you've got the right building in mind. I didn't know you worked there. Funny thing, isn't it?
Rob - the roof was already done last year. I think I'd quiver into a puddle just thinking about doing that. It was while they were repairing the roof that they got some water damage inside, which is why Gerald is working there now.

Justine said...

The other day Thomas told me, "When we were on the way to the Normal Homeschool..."
I like the new header.
Justine