Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hello there

The house is quiet.  Nadia is napping, the middles are outside, and the four oldest and Thomas are skating at the arena.  I can hear the clock ticking away, counting down the precious seconds until the house bursts with noise and activity again.  But for now, silence.  Ahhh. :)


Having a daughter with a driver's license is making me quite the homebody.  I almost never need to go out anymore.  I think I like it. 

She'll let me know when she's about to head out on some errand or other with, "Mom, I've got your cell phone and your keys." 

"Sure, just don't take the credit cards, be careful, watch for pedestrians, don't speed, and whatever you do, BE CAREFUL!!"

"Yes, Mom, I know."

I know she knows, but I have to say it anyway.  It's what moms do.


Today's weather is mild and wet; springish in a cold, dark, dampish way.  Not a bad thing when you're inside, I guess.  Looking on the bright side, at least the sun isn't illuminating the dirtiness of the windows.  Not that my windows are dirty, or anything, but if they were...  Right. 



Earlier in the week, when the temperatures were lower and the sun was shining, we all bundled up and went skating at our friends' place.  What glorious clear, sunny weather.
 





Two years ago today it was dark and rainy, too.  I had been looking forward to that day.  Even though I was overdue, heavy and uncomfortable, I was anticipating a relaxing day out with Gerald - the last opportunity before the busy days with a new baby. A midwife appointment in the morning, lunch at a restaurant followed by an afternoon appointment for Gerald.  We did all those things, but since I had been awake most of the night in the early stages of labour, I felt awful and so very tired. I wanted to be home.  I wanted to be anyone but me, doing anything but what I had to do.  I wanted it to be over.  In the wee hours of the next morning it was over, and we had our precious little girlie in our arms.  I was glad I was me, and so thankful it was over.

Tomorrow our little miss turns two.  Her gift is ready, every stitch sewn with anticipation of her delight in something pretty.  It's been so satisfying to plan and make the gift ourselves instead of just picking something off a rack in the store.  She's young enough that she did not notice it in the making.  We've been priming her for the big day with thoughts of cupcakes, balloons, presents and Grandpa and Grandma coming.  She repeats it back, with no real idea of what it all means.  It'll all make sense to her tomorrow. It should be fun!  :)

6 comments:

Mel said...

sweet read Carmen. Happy birthday to your cutie!

Vanderpolclan said...

Happy birthday Miss Nadia!! 2 already. I remember that day, 2 years ago, the early morning phone call, letting us know of her birth - rejoicing with you that you were "on the other side" of labor and enjoying your little girl. How sweet, to have a girl again after all those boys. She is indeed growing more independant every day, but that is just what makes her soooo sweet. Enjoy your day together.

Cindy (and the rest of the crew say happy birthday too!)

Lydia said...

the 'friends house' pictures bring back oh so many good memories! I was just wondering the other day if there was a good puddle this year... I guess there was :)

~Lydia

MVD said...

Happy Birthday Nadia!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I too was pregnant on this day two years ago. As a matter of fact, I was due. I had a midwife appointment, was told I had high blood pressure and went home to wait for the phone call that would tell me to go to the hospital so that I could get a "non-stress test" and be induced. We went out for supper with our 15 month old daughter to celebrate our 2nd anniversary which was that day. Our second daughter was born 3 days later and will turn 2 DV tomorrow. Hope your celebration was fun. We're just gearing up for ours.
Jeanette Ravensbergen deBoer

Carmen said...

Hi Jeanette,
Nice to 'meet' you here. Gerald is wondering if you are the same Jeanette he went to school with.
I hope you had a fun day celebrating with your little girlies. Your story reminded me of our second anniversary. We went out for dinner with our two week old second daughter and our 13 month old first daughter. It didn't go so well....baby wanted to be fed, and the older one started howling when the booster seat she was sitting on slid down, trapping her between the seat and the table edge. I was feeding baby and didn't appreciate all the extra stares we got on account of the crying. We felt more than a little frazzled! And then I realized that the lovely steak I had ordered had very hot sauce on it, and I didn't dare eat it for fear of it upsetting the baby when she got her share. Not all memories are sweet, but we can laugh now!