Yesterday I came to the conclusion that it was not, and the many years ahead of teaching my four looked as though they would stretch into f o r e v e r. But today was better. Somehow or other the 6 times table clicked into one boy's brain, and some impressive vocabulary sprang out of another's mouth. Both in one day. There is hope! It's amazing what a little talk with Dad can do. Both for teacher and taught alike. :)
Perhaps it isn't fair to pick on the boys. Girls have their days, too, let me tell you. But there is something about seat work and boys...they just don't work well together. Now, give 'em an ax and a pile of firewood to split...then you see some real action.
I just found this picture, taken a few weeks back. It just proves yesterday's dismal thoughts to be more emotional than accurate...
That's a sight that makes my heart glad, and encourages me to press on.
In the next few weeks we'll be wrapping a few subjects up, and by the end of May we hope to be all finished. Just in time, too, since the addition should start about then. I suspect that for the boys, that is when the learning will really be happening.





5 comments:
I really do think we have been given boys to train us in patience. That is a great picture of Warren. Very encouraging. So glad that a few words from Dad does do wonders.
Cindy
Oh BOY do you have me rolling!
It is so nice to know it's not exclusive to my household:-D
Thanks friend.
I sure relate to this teaching boys thing! But like you said, about the time you stop trying so hard (forcing), there is suddenly some glimmers of hope. It was just this late winter that my second boy (12 1/2 years) for the very first time, picked up a book just for pleasure and read it all the way through!
YEA!
Jenny :)
You express it so perfectly...but we have a girl like that!
Having Dad around does work miracles. Occasionally my husband works from home. Even though he's behind the study doors, he's there, and that can make a lot of difference!
Annie Kate
Carmen, I had to smile at this post. My boy is the reason why I never get far when considering home-schooling - I have a hard enough time helping him with his homework! I think I could teach my girls, but I could hardly send one to school and keep the others home, right?!
I'm excited for you that the addition is starting soon - looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Post a Comment