Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Countdown to construction...

Isn't it nice to know that spring is really here?  Time seems to be moving faster than ever since we are counting down the weeks until our forest haven turns into a construction zone.  A few weeks ago we made a list of all the big jobs we wanted to get done before construction begins.  What I love about these projects is that the whole family works on them together, and it is such a blessed time of shared work and satisfaction of a job well done.

Cut and chop firewood: A dent has been made in the pile, with more getting chopped as time allows.  No real hurry; as long as it's had time to dry out before next winter, we'll be fine.



Clean out the workshop and barn to make room for garage stuff; empty out garage: Yes, what seemed impossible has been done.  The garage is now ready for the next step...

Hyper-clean/paint garage to prepare for its temporary use as kitchen/dining room: Years of grime, holes in the drywall and spiders and their webs all must go before I set up.  Yes, I could cook with holes in the drywall, but considering how much time we will spend in that room over the next several months, it will be worth sprucing up a bit to keep me sane (and consequently everyone else, too.)


Remove deck: Yes, it's gone. Actually still sitting in a pile, waiting to go to the dump.  Some pieces got specially cut and fitted to make a floor for the pioneer house, which makes the girls very happy. 
 

The sight of me wielding a chainsaw was enough of a novelty to merit a whole collection of pictures on the memory card. 

I've never had much of a desire for using one of those things, especially after Gerald nearly lost his thumb when one kicked back on him. But it was actually kind of fun.

Move plants and soil: Some plants got moved when the deck came down.  The herbs will be sitting in pots until I get a chance to till up a new bed for them.  The flowers found a new home today in a bed that we expanded in front of the pool deck.


Open pool: Not yet, but hopefully this weekend or maybe the long weekend.  We need to get it done before we lose the use of our outside water tap.  Certain children are of the opinion that it should have been opened a month ago.


I took that picture last week from an upstairs window I was cleaning. I love the story it tells.

Along with our bigger project list, I've made another list of things I would like to get done:

Clean windows: Upstairs windows are done; hopefully we'll get to the downstairs windows this week.

Wash up all the blankets and comforters: Boys' blankets are clean and I hope to work through the rest as time and weather permits.  Sadly, when we removed the deck, we also lost the clothesline and there isn't a place to string a temporary one that won't be in the way.  We'll have to use the rail of the pool deck and the playground so the blankets can dry in the fresh air.

Stock the freezers with gluten/dairy-free baking: So far we've packed away 21 loaves of bread, and several containers of squares and cookies. 


Go through kids' clothes; get out summer clothes: Always a big job, though easier now that the older girls do their own.  Now that the warm weather seems to be here to stay for a while, I may find the ambition to attack this soon.  Value Village is having their 50% off sale next Monday, so I should probably try to get at it this week so I have a better idea of what we need.

I can't think of a clever way to close this post, so I'll just end it here.

G'night,

4 comments:

Anita said...

You are a busy bunch! I love it that you are sprucing up the garage to use as a kitchen, and I'm with you on patching and painting it first! I'm looking forward to seeing the renovation pictures. Good work using a chainsaw, you look a mom that no one should mess with. ;-)

jennstar said...

I really liked that picture of you on the chain saw! Definitely a "framer"!
It must be very exciting to be finally wading in on this project. I look forward to following your progress!
Jenny

Vanderpolclan said...

I agree with Jenny, that the picture of you with the chainsaw needs framing along with a caption. The other one that needs framing is the one of Gerald and the boys standing along the wall, working. Love it. Great job on getting the deck down, though I'm sure it looks a little bare there now.

Cindy

Ingrid said...

Those are some pipes sistah! :P