Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A little side project...

The pioneer house - it's actually Leah, Meghan and Emily's project, but they needed a little help to patch the roof.  Since we've been making good progress on our other projects, Gerald took some time to give them a hand.


They've collected bits and pieces from here and there.  Almost anything I no longer have use for finds its way into their collection.  Care to join us on a tour?






I love their resourcefulness and creativity.  I love how hard they've worked to make something out of what was just an old bird pen.  I love seeing them sweep out every last bit of dirt, brush out every cob web, and hand-wash their linens, hanging them out to dry on the rope they hung between two trees.  I know that someday they will care for their own homes with the same enthusiasm.

We are blessed to have a large property where the kids have plenty of room to run and explore, and where there's 'scope for the imagination' as Anne Shirley would say.  I have to admit, though, that at times we have questioned the wisdom of living this far from the city.  We've had doubts about whether or not we are doing the right thing to add on to this house, or should we have sold this one and looked for another?  For a number of reasons staying here seems to be the best choice, despite the rising fuel costs.  Houses designed for larger-than-average families are difficult to come by, and the closer to the city you go, the further from our price range they get.  And besides, we really love it here. 




How could we not? 

4 comments:

Heather VMS said...

We dreamed of having a 'house' like the pioneer house when we were little. We'd move our fort from place to place all over the neighbourhood looking for the perfect spot! Your woods look like they'd have a lot of perfect spots! I think woods are one of the best things kids can have growing up; room to explore, to move, to make their own.

Cinnamon said...

Carmen, It all looks like our back yard. The pioneer house, the pots and pans hanging. The utensils gathered up from my kitchen, old ones I've thrown out that my girls *beg* me for. I love it all. So homey, so much fun for them and you're right....someday they'll do this all to their own home.

Country living is not for the faint hearted that's for sure. Lots of dirt, poison oak, snakes, wild animals, work, clean up and lots of projects. So much fun while adding character to everyone involved.

Thank you for sharing~ Cinnamon

joleneotten said...

I love the ingenuity that has been put into the pioneer house! I remember "pretending" all the time growing up. Of course, our pioneer homes were just blankets draped around trees - this one looks much sturdier!

Annie Kate said...

So much fun,learning and memory building! I don't think you'll ever regret staying far, far out in the country.

Thanks for the lovely photos.

Annie Kate