Going scedg free is a challenge. I like a challenge, though, and it's been interesting to research and learn what we can and can't eat, where soy and especially corn are hidden, and finding recipes that will work for us. There're all a little tricky to work around. What's a breakfast without eggs? And eggs do wonders in your baking. Soy is used in a lot of things and as a substitute for other things (dairy for example) and corn is in almost everything. You wouldn't think so from reading labels, but there isn't a law for labeling corn and corn products like there is for gluten, dairy and soy. Corn is used in so many things - in baking powder, vinegar and even in iodized salt. Glucose is usually made from corn. It's used on food and other things like paper plates to prevent sticking. There are very few packaged or prepared foods that are corn-free.
So now you are wondering what we have left to eat. Let me assure you, there is plenty. The internet is full of recipes for special diets - so much that we'd never be able to try them all. Good ones, too. Like these chocolate chip cookies that Allison made this morning. We've used this bread recipe for loaves and buns, substituting sorghum flour for the corn starch and guar gum for the xanthan gum (which is a common ingredient in GF baking but is derived from corn.) The thing is, almost everything we eat has to be made from scratch. Things like jam, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and mayonaise. (Yes, it is possible to make egg and soy free mayo, but it sure isn't anything like Hellmann's.) I found a ketchup recipe in one of my allergy cookbooks and it's so good I'm tempted to plan my menu around meals that need ketchup. :) Making everything from scratch is a lot of work but I don't mind that. The problem is, it takes time, and I'm a little short on that as it is. It'll all get a little quicker once we have a good collection of recipes and we get into the routine of planning and cooking ahead. But no matter how you look at it, it's going to take some creative thinking to find the time for it while the rest of life keeps marching on.
The really good thing about this is that now we have better control over what we are eating. When you choose all the ingredients, only the good stuff goes in, while the preservatives, stabilizers and enhancers are kept out. That is such a good and rewarding feeling. That alone almost makes it worth the extra effort.
In case you are following the recipe links, you'll notice not all of them meet the scedg free criteria. We convert and substitute as we go.
While we are eliminating so much, we have to consider how we are getting the nutrients we need. In researching this, we've rediscovered how awesome our God is in providing what our bodies need in the food He designed. Simply put, if you eat a balanced diet of wholesome food with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, legumes, meat, fish, and whole grains, you will be getting what you need. I looked specifically at calcium rich (since we're dairy free) and iron rich (on account of needing to get my iron levels back up) and iodine rich food (we won't be consuming iodized salt). Interestingly a number of items from the calcium list were also on the iron list. Things like peas, beans and lentils, blackstrap molasses, sardines, almonds and dark, leafy greens. We're finding recipes that use these ingredients, like this chickpea kale soup which has, besides chickpeas and kale, of course, sweet potato. I made a few adjustments to it and added some lemon juice, and blended it up a bit to make it a little more appealing to the little ones. Some of us liked it, and I think the rest will learn to like it with another try or two. Tonight we are having Canadian winter molasses baked beans with biscuits and next week we hope to try pasta with sardines (not too sure about that one but we're feeling adventurous these days!) We need to teach our tastebuds to appreciate different foods. It can be done, but not always with just one taste - so we will keep trying. I'm glad we've never tolerated picky eating habits in our kids. I'm thankful for a husband who likes almost anything and is always appreciative, and for a team of chefs who work with me.
Today I went outside to soak in some February sunshine. I took a ramble through the woods with a little girl chattering at my side, and Gavin as my guide. We visited the kids' forts, heard geese honking overhead and noticed the green sprouting up underfoot. Gavin nicely showed us how to get around the mud puddles along the path, and then stomped right through them himself.
Life is rich, isn't it?

P.S. Allison is seeing some improvement already, so I'm pretty sure we're on the right track. So exciting to see positive results and to think that she will enjoy relief from her symptoms!!





7 comments:
Sounds very interesting, Carmen. I think we should sit and discuss it all over a cup of tea, don't you? :) I suppose this is second best. And here I'm still struggling with taking the sugar out of my diet, thinking that soy, dairy, and gluten-free seem to be the max I can handle. You make me ashamed of myself. :)
Hope your energy levels return soon. I've heard that it takes quite some time to recuperate from giving blood. I have never done it and now I am unable as I am iron deficient (so I can totally relate to the wiped out feeling)
I wish you all the best on your new diet challenge. It sounds extremely hard and makes me thankful for what we are able to eat ... although many might think our diet is just as challenging as what you are doing. I've always been really thankful that we seem to be tolerating corn okay as I know it would be a real challenge to our already limited food list if we had to take that out as well. Eggs is another one I'm thankful for, it's a great subsitute for us ... another one I'd be rather devastated to take out.
All the best with these new changes.
Steph
Oh how I can relate :-/ the nice thing that I have found about meals taking longer is that I have more time with a child in the kitchen.
Cooking in the kitchen with Mama, laughing, just us two, is one memory that I want my children to remember fondly :-)
We have seen improvement in rashes on the children's face but it's still not completely gone. Better but not gone. I have found that I can tolerate foods better having not had them for a few weeks, like gluten or a bit of dairy. Healing takes time.
I agree with you....we, our family, needs to adjust our taste buds because we ALL have such a sweet tooth that it dictates our every bite :-( It's been challenging eliminating sugar but not impossible.
Hoping you feel better and get some rest before beginning your new week.
~Cinnamon
Amy ~ learning to work around special diets is always hard at first. We've been working around special diets for several years, so although this is more challenging in a way, at least we are already used to thinking about what's in what we eat. You seem to be doing a great job of finding good things that work for you!
Steph ~ Your diet needs are so challenging. I think I would have a hard time to keep it straight - but I guess you can get used to almost anything when you have to. It will be very interesting to try to cook around all our needs next time we are together. Now there's a real challenge!!
Cinnamon ~ It's so encouraging to see positive results and know that what you are doing is the right thing. I should be keeping my sugars a lot lower than I am. Sugar is a hard one, for sure! We've cut in down a lot over the last few years, but then it creeps back in again. Not being allowed glucose should help us in this since most if not all candy and treats have glucose in them.
Hope you keep seeing improvements and can stay the course for as long as you need to!
We have been through this...more than once. :( After changing so many things, I can get very overwhelmed if Steven or one of the kids still come to me with some symptoms. I get SO weary of changing EVERYTHING!!!
But, feeling awful is a good motivator. We are thinking of going to an allergy Dr. who was recommended to us just to pinpoint exactly what is causing the problems.
" We need to teach our tastebuds to appreciate different foods."
I love how you put this, because this is how it is, isn't it?
I know you are able to do this, even though it is hard. Keep it up!!!
Cindy
Not only can you do this, Carmen, but you are sure to do it gracefully :) With a little difficulty I can imagine myself having to revamp our whole diet, but I have no difficulty at all hearing my whining and complaining the whole way :(
I want to be just like you when I grow up :)
Post a Comment