Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

At our house...

Well, it would seem that the puppy is here to stay.  We're happy about that because Casper's a really good dog.  He's doesn't bark incessantly - actually he hardly barks at all, except when he sees the cat - and although he has been caught taking off with a shoe or a croc, he doesn't chew on everything in sight. It would be nice if he barked when someone comes in the driveway - but maybe that will come yet. Gentle with the little ones and loving to romp and play with the others, he's been a great addition to the life and activity here.


One of his favourite things is to play in the leaves. The kids rake up a big pile, then he jumps into the the centre of it and lets them cover him up leaving just his head poking out, and suddenly he bounds out, runs around and comes back for more. He's devoted to Warren, who is the one who goes out first thing in the morning to let him run and then feeds him and often goes out at any other chance to play with him. We're working on some training.  He needs to learn to come when called, and sit and stay when commanded.  It would be nice if he could retrieve balls, too, but first things first. 

With cold weather upon us, the kids have been busy with various crafts and projects. 

The snowwoman that Allison made ~


Isn't she cute?  She sits on the mantle but she looks lonely so I've put in a request for a snowman and some snowchildren. :)


Justine is working on a cross-stitch project~


Leah has a needle point project in the works~


Meghan has been sewing doll clothes for Nadia~


Brent got this for his birthday and put it together~


I love that they are always busy with something.  Last week one of the neighbours took the kids for rides on his combine as he was harvesting soy beans. That has set off the boys' latest craze: playing farm on the area rug in the livingroom, converting the sections into pasture, fields and barnyards.  


Next week or the week after it will be Lego or Lincoln Logs or maybe a combination of all three. :)

"Be sure that your children each day have:
~something or someone to love
~something to do
~something to think about."
Karen Andreola in A Charlotte Mason Companion, Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning

7 comments:

Vanderpolclan said...

WOW Great post!! I love all the projects you all have made!! Allison, can you pass on the pattern for the snowwoman?

Cindy

jennstar said...

I love seeing all the projects your kids are working on. They are all very creative!
The farm play is so great. We were just talking that we should get William some John Deere farm toys for Christmas. :)
Jenny

Heather said...

Great job on all the projects! I love, love, love the snowman that Allison made! Did she use a pattern? I'd love to make some for my house this winter!

Lynnette VD said...

I love all the handwork!! Youre girls are talented!!

jen said...

Such a cute little snowwoman..yes, she should have a family! :0) Great projects everyone! Very inspiring. :0)

Anita said...

I love all the projects! I can see they are all being done with care! How wonderful to instill a love of hobbies and quiet but fun work in your children. :-) And I agree with you about the snowman needing a family...maybe a family the size of yours if your daughter is very ambitious. :-)

Annie Kate said...

I love your kids' projects, especially the snow woman! Our kids are writing these days, so there's not much time for projects. :) Maybe next month.

Annie Kate