It's been a noisy week, but progress is being made. The new septic bed is finished and already in use for one bathroom, and as a bonus, for our laundry room and kitchen - including the dishwasher. Hooray for the plumber! He is an appreciated man today. We had less than 24 hours out of service. The 'outhouse' arrived (for our interruption in service and for the construction workers' use for the next month) and was a hit with the younger male population, but also holds fascination with a certain little lady. I never thought before about how awkward it would be to take an opinionated, independent 2 year-old to the washroom in a port-a-potty. These units are not designed for 2 year-olds, and hands-free foot peddle sinks make for a perplexing problem when you are under three feet tall. And then there's the problem of waking up in the middle of a thunderstorm with a need to use the facilities. :-/
I kinda figured you wouldn't want to see pictures of the septic system, so here's some of our little picnic in the front yard.
Today they are digging out the hole for the addition. There was a bit of a delay when they went to dig out the old septic tank and discovered that only one side had been pumped out. I'm sure that it is not often that a septic truck receives cheers when it arrives on site, but today one did. :)
Amidst all the construction in the past week we also hosted some family visiting from the States, attended a niece's wedding, witnessed and celebrated a niece's public profession of faith and celebrated Meg's 13th birthday! Phew!
And, as if the noise of the machines starting up at 7 a.m. was not enough, we have Mrs. Blue Jay tapping on our bedroom window at 6:30.
She has a nest and three babies nearby in a juniper that we want to pull out, but are waiting until her babies have left. I think she owes us a little consideration, don't you?
2 comments:
Hooray for working septic systems! We experienced the same large family septic challenges when we added on to our kitchen. So glad that you were only without "facilities" for 24 hours! And yes, I think that you have been more than generous to your jay... Perhaps she is thanking you!!? ; ). Hope construction continues to move along rapidly there!
Don't we take the niceties of having a bathroom for granted? :)
There is always a price to be payed for progress, but in the end, I am sure you will think all this disruption was worth it.
And I am sure Mrs. Blue Jay will be very thankful for you consideration. :)
Jenny
Post a Comment