Today Emily sweetly helped out by playing with Nadia for a long time on the front porch.
In summer the kids go to bed later than the rest of the year. That makes morning seem to come so much sooner. And when morning starts at 6:36 with the beep, beep, beep of a truck backing into the driveway, it seems way too soon.
I convinced the littles to get to bed on time tonight by allowing the boys to sleep in the tent. Gavin preferred to sleep inside, and for a treat is sharing a bedroom with Nadia. By the sounds coming through the baby monitor, they are having way too much fun. But at least they are in bed.
Yesterday was a quiet day since no one was scheduled to work on the house. This afternoon, too, was quiet and the kids and I enjoyed some time in the back yard, spreading out a blanket to play Apples to Apples Junior (which turned out to be a pretty nifty way to sneak in some reading practice) and then going for a swim.
This morning the concrete crew was in and now the foundation walls are poured. Tomorrow the forms will come off and on Thursday the guys will be here to backfill.
Next week the framing should start. It's neat to see things coming together, but I'm having a hard time feeling excited. I'd feel better if I didn't worry about things. I'll be so glad when the work is done and I don't have to wonder if someone is going to get hurt. Tonight Gerald is cutting out a doorway in the foundation, creating an opening into the addition. I wonder...is he getting enough fresh air in the booth he made down there? Is the window fan doing a good enough job sucking the fumes from the saw away? Will the house still stand with a chunk of foundation wall missing?
Making the first cut from the outside. After this he had to cut from the inside.
He's finished now, and yes, he did make it out alive. He had to stop once because his mask was so clogged with dust that he suddenly couldn't breathe, and by the time he was finished he'd had enough fumes that he needed to sit in the fresh air for a while. Yikes!
A little dusty, but alive and as handsome as ever. :)
Each morning we pray that everyone involved in the project will be kept safe, and each night we thank the LORD for his care and protection. I need to focus on the truth that we are under his protection rather than on what might happen, knowing that nothing happens outside his will. As always, we are in his hands.






4 comments:
Carmen~ Wow! Your post brought back so many memories for me from two years ago when we were doing the exact same thing! Our existing house foundation was stone where we cut the opening between the two basements~ talk about a mess! What will your new basement be used for? Ours is a huge laundry room! I also have an extra oven down there and my seed starting shelves/lights. *Love* having that space!
I think you are wise to have a harness on Nadia~ I was so relieved when the foundation was backfilled and especially once the roughing in was done enough that there weren't huge gaping holes for little ones to tumble into! I'll pray for safety there as well.
You are going to *love* your new space!
Carmen - you have made a lot of progress! And you are keeping your work site SO TIDY!
Jenny
Wow, now you will know what he will look like in a few years (hee,hee):).
The work looks great. The boys are doing a good job keeping it tidy. Can't wait for it to be done. I'll be excited for you.
I understand your anxiety, and I think there is a place for some concern, just because of the little people. But, remember to not let you mind get ahead of the situation. Be responsible (as you always are) and require all eyes to be open and aware (which I am sure is happening too). Pray for peace and safety (which is also what you are doing). Dream a little, of your first meal in the addition, the new stove :), all the bread you will make at one time.... and the visitors you will have to oooooh and aaaah over it all (and share the pool). Praying for you.
Cindy
Thank you, ladies, for you sweet comments. Susan, the basement is bonus space. We will finish it as we have time and money. We have it mapped out for a rec room (a place for the ping-pong table) and two smaller rooms - maybe hobbby rooms or they could be used as bedrooms when we have friends over or - looking far into the future - when we have our children's families visiting. :)
Post a Comment