Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's growing on me...

Our garden is looking promising this year. 



We've had a good balance of sun and rain. 


 And a little hard work has helped, too.


I used to hate gardening. I grew up on a vegetable farm and wasn't a stranger to the work involved. Perhaps that destroyed any potential gardener that might have been blooming in me.


We've had our share of unsuccessful gardens. We used to live on very sandy soil - it drained really well but was unfertile. Just when we were making progress in building it up with compost, we moved down here to the land of clay.


It's so much harder to work with, but at least it produces something!


I think, too, that I had a hard time liking it when the kids were little and it was just another job in a long list.  I found precious little time to be outdoors, and to spend it trying to stay on top of  yet another thing that got out of hand when I wasn't looking was too much.  But now, with so many able hands around, the work is shared.


It's still not something that I'm passionate about, but I'm learning to find pleasure in it.


With rewards like these, how could I not?

6 comments:

LP said...

Your garden looks pretty far advanced. Those peppers look ready to eat! It looks like you'll be making salsa this summer.

jennstar said...

Your garden looks beautiful - and your pictures capture it so sweetly. I think if that green pepper was in my garden, I would pick it, sit down in the dirt, brush it off on my shirt and eat it like an apple! :)

Annie Kate said...

Wow, wow, wow! Your vegetables are almost ready to pick!

We're in a valley and it's just a bit colder here. In fact, we don't even plant squashes until the end of June! And our peppers barely have leaves.

Enjoy your garden, and happy birthday to Allison.

Annie Kate

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

I have a confession to make; I stalk your blog nearly every day. I love the smiling faces of all your precious children. I love that you live on a farm. I love that you homeschool. I love your gardens. I love how you capture the mundane moments in pictures and make it look precious. I love the music playing softly in the background. I love the cheerful tone of the blog and joy you exude in being a mother. You're an inspiration to me. In fact, I think I'm going to add a new category of blogs under my list of Friends: "People I wish I knew."

God bless you, and please keep sharing about the wonderful life the Lord has blessed you with!

Vanderpolclan said...

What a wonderful comment. Definately add Carmen to your list of people I wish I knew. I am blessed to know her, and her blog is a very real picture of her and her wonderful family.

I'll admit to being a little bit envious of the crop at your place. We are in need of sunshine and heat here, so hopefully this weekend we will be able to watch the garden grow - literally :)

Cindy

Carmen said...

Hi Jacinda and Cindy,
Thank you for your kind words. It is my prayer that I can live up to all that you've said...and I am just so happy and thankful that God is using me to encourage you. Cindy, I've had the privilege of some off-blog messages with Jacinda and found out that we quite likely will cross paths one of these days. I'm looking forward to that! Follow her link to find her blog - I know you will enjoy it.