Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Hard Decision

We've been struggling to make a difficult decision over the last couple of weeks, and we'd like to share it with you here.
Three weeks ago I had an appointment with a vascular surgeon who confirmed that I have a splenic artery aneurysm.  An aneurysm is a bulging out of an artery due to weakness of the artery wall. Often a person would not know they had one until it ruptured.  We were made aware of mine as a result of an ultrasound I had done after a gall bladder attack.  Although this was news that we didn't want to hear, we are so thankful that we know; that we don't have to learn of it sometime down the road when it would become a life-threatening situation, as is often the case.  But with knowledge comes responsibility - for us, the responsibility of choice.  At this point my aneurysm is small and could remain that way for years - we don't know.  Although the risk of rupture at this size is very low, that would change significantly if I were to become pregnant.  We could choose to have the aneurysm removed, but because it is so close to the spleen, my entire spleen would have to be removed as well. Among other things, that would cause my immune system to be seriously compromised.  We've been praying, researching, discussing, asking the doctors more questions, assessing risk and praying some more over the past three weeks.  We've decided that for now we will leave the aneurysm alone.  But what a difficult decision this has been.  We've gotten used to the idea of living with the risk - it is very small and I will be going for ultrasounds every 6 to 12 months to check for growth.  The hard part is knowing that because of our decision we probably will not receive more children.  For most people that will seem odd, I know.  We have ten already - how many more did we want?  True, we have been abundantly blessed, beyond what we ever imagined. And we are thankful.  But it isn't about numbers.  We did not set out with an idea of how many kids we wanted.  We wanted however many the Lord would give us, and our motto has always been, "There's always room for one more."  For nearly 17 years we have been busy with babies - either a little one or another one on the way.  While this has had its share of difficulties, we believed that God would provide what was needed, and He always did. We left our family size in God's hands, trusting in His perfect plan and provision for us.  And we look back with absolutely no regrets about that - not about size or timing or spacing.  We've had such peace about it.  God worked in us to make us willing to accept as many children as he had planned for us and now suddenly we are faced with the idea that He may not be sending any more.  If it is His will that we 'only' have ten, then we are at peace with that.  But the really difficult part is having to make a choice.  Since God revealed the aneurysm to us, we have to respond wisely, in a way that is best for all concerned.  And while it is with sadness that we see one door closing, we are joyful to be reminded that nothing happens by chance, but by the will of our heavenly Father and we know that new doors will be opened for us - things that He has planned for us. 
We don't know what the future holds.  We could find that with time the aneurysm will grow, which would make surgery necessary. Whatever happens, we continue to trust in God, knowing that we are in His hands.


"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Love,

8 comments:

jennstar said...

That is a hard choice to face... one of the hardest aspects can be what other Christians may say to you.
I'm sure you have had comments about having a large family - it seems like others feel it is open season to ask about your fertility plans if you have a large # of children. ;)
If you choose not to have more, the comments come from the other side of the fence and they can be much more hurtful!
However the Lord leads you, you can rest that this was his plan for you and he has led you here...regardless of what others think or say.
Trust all goes well and that the aneurysm does not grow.
Love,
Jenny

missionarymomma said...

Ooooo, wow, this is hard, very hard. Yet, this is life our own journeys on his road of trusting he Lord and walking in wisdom. I can not imagine having to make such a decision.

May you know Gods extra comfort and PEACE as you walk this out. I barely comment but I enjoy your sweet family.

Love in Jesus! By the way feel free to stop by my site just ask and I will give you the password.

Mel said...

You're right it is not about numbers. That made me so sad to read. We will pray that all goes well for your health and that God will help you rest in His plans.
Love Mel

stacy said...

Wow, Carmen, I am so sorry. I will be praying for your health.
I understand. I only have six and get comments all the time about how I have "enough now". It's easy for someone else to say but when you love being a mom (as it is obvoius you do) it's difficult to imagine that your family is complete.
But, as you said, it's in God's hands- only He knows what is to come. In the meantime, just keep cherishing those ten beautiful children.

LP said...

Sad to hear about this news. That is a difficult decision to make. What a comfort that we may know we are in His hands.

Carmen said...

Hi Missionarymomma,
I'm not sure how to contact you to get the password. Could you email be at momofmany@bell.net?

Annie Kate said...

Carmen and Gerald,

May God bless you in your trusting and in your difficult decision. May He give you joy in everything, and good health.

I pray that your transparency about this time will be a blessing to many.

((Hugs))

Annie Kate

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Just catching up on your blog after our vacation! Your post touched me in that we too have had to live with something like this. Jake has a renal artery aneurism which we would never have known about if he hadn't had his back issues 6 or 7 years ago. While xraying his back, an observant technician noticed something. Jake goes every 6 to 12 months for a CT scan and so far it hasn't grown. However, surgery is not an option because of its location. Sometimes I don't know if it's better to know or not to know :-). But, as you do, we know our lives are in God's hands and we can trust him absolutely for everything that happens in our lives! Praying for Thomas too as he recovers in hospital!!

Hugs, Jacqui