In the process of organizing I came across some thick file folders of old letters and spent an evening organizing them by sender and date. Some day I hope to have time to sit and read through some of them. They are precious glimpses into the past. Of course, most are from the days before email and are handwritten.
For a while my sister Lynda and I wrote each other quite faithfully. How funny to think back to the time when we were both in very small and humble starter homes, surrounded by little ones, and feeling the need for companionship. As I was sorting them, the first paragraph of one caught my eye. She wrote, "I got your letter on Friday and I almost let supper burn while I was reading it..." That just puts me, in my mind, right there in her tiny kitchen with her, feeling her excitement and curiousity while her pots are boiling over. :) I'm so glad that I have lived in a time when good, old fashioned letters were still written. Email and facebook are handy, but I think we've lost something along the way.
My next project was to set up a household budget on the computer. I wanted something that was inexpensive and easy to use. I found free budget templates. Since we don't have Excel, I first downloaded OpenOffice (another freebie).
Next I needed to catch up on the business books to finish last year up and get the new year started. I had to smile when the program popped up a notice, recommending that I check the manual for something. My 'manual' is due to have a baby any day and likely doesn't want to deal with my bookkeeping questions. I'm sure that she will be happy (and surprised) to know that I managed to start the new year once this time, and did not send the books five years into the future. I'm catching on!
My next project was to order some new curriculum and update our schedule. I was looking for a fresh writing program for Leah, Meghan and Emily and chose Institute for Excellence in Writing. It looks like something that they will enjoy but since we just started it today, it's too soon to give an opinion of it. Justine and Allison needed something challenging, and we signed them up to do the Great Ideas course with Tree of Life. Their books just arrived today, and it looks like they are going to be very busy girls. The nice part for me is that they will be getting feedback from someone else on their essays and assignments. We started our updated schedule today, and to my great amazement I discovered that somehow or other I ended up with a free half hour in the mornings. I was wondering out loud how I could have done that, when Brent said, "Oh, that's nice. Mom finally gets some free time." Precious boy.
And while I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row, here's a link that I've been meaning to share with those who expressed an interest in the pattern Allison used for the snowwoman. You can order the kit here to make the snobuddy family yourself. Have fun!





7 comments:
I am VERY impressed with you!!! I am hoping to get that done today. I would not have minded your call, but am glad you figured it out. You didn't, by any chance, write it down for next year, did you????
I, too, love old fashioned letters. My kids save all of theirs so they will have some memories in later years.
We are glad you received the package. Enjoy.
Cindy
I love old letters. I'm such a sucker for the sentimental! Thanks so much for the link to the snowman patterns! I was just thinking about them yesterday, but I didn't want to bug you again :-)
Glad to hear you have some free time...maybe to write a letter?
I love writing letters. There is something wonderful about sending one and receiving one.
A few of our children enjoy writing and I like to hold them off of facebook/email as it's so easy to zap a message to someone instead of thoughfully writing out a personal letter.
Have fun cleaning up and organizing~
~Cinnamon
Oh Carmen. I also zipped my accounting program 3 years into the future - and could no longer access the years I needed!!! I had to go back to where I had last saved on my memory stick - 2 and a half months of reentering everything!!!! I am now VERY careful and nervous about "flipping the year" every new year. Live and learn:)
oooo!!! your girls get to do Excellence in Writing!!! :) I did it too, and it was REALLY good. Except that if you are doing the videos you have to listen to Mr. ___ and he drove me crazy!!! ;)
They are really good though, other than the wacky teacher.
Have fun!!!
-Emily W.
oooo!!! your girls get to do Excellence in Writing!!! :) I did it too, and it was REALLY good. Except that if you are doing the videos you have to listen to Mr. ___ and he drove me crazy!!! ;)
They are really good though, other than the wacky teacher.
Have fun!!!
-Emily W.
I saw the picture of the letters first before I read anything, and I thought, "Hey, that looks like my mom's writing." A low-and-behold, it was. Her writing hasn't changed at all.
Post a Comment