Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Little House

The kids have been watching Little House on the Prairie* a bit lately and now the younger ones are in a craze of playing it.  The dress-up clothes are in almost constant use.  One of them will come to the door and ask, "Are Ma and Mary in there?"  We have to think quickly about who the current Ma and Mary are before we can reply. :)




They even put together a covered wagon.  Check out the horse...


The scene is made complete with a campfire and cooking pots.

I love how they use their imaginations and whatever is on hand to create their play world.  Fun! 




*We have sometimes felt it necessary to turn the program off because we thought the content or attitudes were not appropriate.  We're struggling with the concept of banning it altogether. And as with almost anything, the books are much better than the show.

10 comments:

jennstar said...

Does Laura like chocolate chips? ;)

How fun to see the creativity put into that wagon. Now they will be wanting to sleep out there!

We struggled with the same feelings with the show - it seems like they put all the attitudes and issues of the late 60's and 70's into the show. In the books, Mary and Laura were SO respectful of their parents! Laura gave all her earnings as a seamstress to her parents and was GLAD to give back to them for caring for her! In the show, they talk back, are sassy and rebellious. Too bad! We only bought the first season and then we have borrowed some of the other...and where thankful that we didn't purchase any more.
I just bought the audio books for our little girls - and they LOVE them! They listen as they go to sleep at night. :) That has been a very worthwhile purchase!

Sarah by the Sea said...

Those pictures are going to be great when he gets married! ;)

I agree--the books are much better than the show.

Carmen said...

Hi Jenny,
We have some of the audio books, too, and love them. The only regret I have with them is that I won't be reading those books to the kids. I have fond memories of enjoying them with the older girls when they were little. But I guess that means we have time to enjoy other good books together. :)
Not exactly an authentic snack, was it? :^O

The Mayo Family said...

Hello,
This is my first visit over to your place! I have seen you on comments & thought...why not stop over & see who you are?
So glad I did was a real blessing! You have a lovely family. :)
Last year on a trip we came home to Wisconsin through Minnesota and stopped at the Laura Ingall's place! Well worth our time and so forth, had a great day & went down to the "Shores of Plum Creek" saw where the sod house stood...it is falling away now-however a thrill and so much to learn! If one goes plan to spend time as they have a "hands on room" the children dressed up & played with old type school things...FUN! Great memories!
Have a wonderful day!
Blessings~
Lori

Carmen said...

Lori,
So glad you stopped by and thanks for leaving a message. The Ingalls' homestead is one place that I've always wanted to visit with the kids...another one of our ~someday~ hopes. Even though we are in Canada, it really isn't that far so we may just do it sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

I just love the covered wagon (and the horse:P)! It's so creative!

Emma

Vanderpolclan said...

Our kids are begging to come over and play with the covered wagon and the horse!!

Gavin, you look adorable.

Cindy

Mel said...

WOW! Great imaginations!!!

Missy said...

my kids are also loving Little House, we just pick and choose what they watch. Missy

Anonymous said...

Love it! What great imaginations :0)