...we skipped out yesterday!
The day was too nice to spend indoors so we ignored the work, left the school books on the shelf and met up with some friends. What made it so special was that we live a good three hours away from each other. We met each other half way at a wonderful park where there were two playground areas, a covered eating area, a small zoo, a river to play in, and a Tim Hortons nearby.
Ten years ago God brought our two families together. He knew that we would need each other. At that time we had four little ones age 5 and under and they had three age 3 and under. As our families have grown and our homeschooling journeys began we have often been able to rejoice together and support and encourage each other through trials.
During the time when we lived near each other we would get together for a day or afternoon whenever either of us moms needed a break. I think that one of the best ways to avoid burnout as a homeschooling family is to take a day off when you need to. We've always made time for each other, whether that has meant an hour (or two) on the phone, an afternoon visit or, as it usually means now, an extended weekend visit.
Our kids have always gotten along famously. They will play with each other without regard to age or gender. There are 18 kids between the two families...a happy jumble of excited, busy kids that make use of every minute together.
It's a blessing to see the older and younger ones enjoying each other. The older ones are gaining important life experiences and the little ones thrive in an environment of love and security.

Our oldest and youngest...
Their oldest and youngest...
Nine girls...
And nine boys...
The whole gang...
And the moms...
(The only picture of the two of us and I have to have a camera in front of my face. Maybe it's better that way. ;)
And did the moms have a good time? Well, I'll just say that with comfy lawnchairs, iced cappuccinos and some Lindt chocolate truffles we were...um...content. :)





















5 comments:
Just stumbled across your blog for the first time!
You have some really great pictures!
I look forward to reading your blog now that I found it!
It looks like you had a special day. Now that the weather is warming up here, I think we will do the same! When the sun is shining and it is warmer outside than inside...who CAN sit stoically doing math?! :)
Jenny
You all look like you had a wonderful time. Everyone needs to have those kind of days! I love the picture at the end with all the kids! Missy in TN
Hi Megan,
Thanks for stopping by. I've been peeking at your blog too! Keep it up!
Jenny,
An early spring is making it terribly difficult to stay disciplined about the school work. Good thing learning isn't confined to textbooks, eh?
Missy,
Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! I love that picture, too. Overwhelming to see how richly God has blessed us!
What a lovely day you had all together! That's a sure way to avoid burn out. And what a joy to see so many little (and big) blessings!
It was so refreshing to see your photos. Thank you!
Annie Kate
Post a Comment