One of the things I'm enjoying right now is having time for some of those simple things that often get pushed to the side. For me, having a schedule is freeing. By sticking to it we get right down to work, which means we get more done in less time and we can fit in a few extras - things we know are worthwhile and good but otherwise don't always make time for - like nature journaling, walks, games, or having friends over.
I simplified our schedule by cutting out a few subjects that just weren't that important to us. Now we can spend more time focusing on what we really need and want to learn.
And a hard decision - but perhaps the best one this year - has been to limit the number of away-from-home commitments. In the past we have participated in many wonderful learning opportunities. But although we enjoyed them, it did cause some stress. We had to cut our mornings short, gulp down a quick lunch, and rush out the door on a regular basis. And while we hope to take advantage of some of those things again sometime, for now we are opting out.
We're just as busy as ever, but it's a more relaxed sort of busy. And we can choose to go out - or not - as it suits us.
And I am just so thankful for my older kids. Although I have assigned them time with the little ones in the past, this is the first year that I have been able to have them take responsibility to the extent that I can work all morning with the younger ones without having to pause to deal with a dirty diaper or some other more-or-less urgent matter.
All this is what I meant when I mentioned in my last post that I was feeling on top of things. I certainly don't 'have it all together.' Far from it! And I'm not nearly as organized as many other homeschooling moms that I know. I haven't developed any wonderful lesson plans or long lists of goals for each child. Some day I may have time for that, too. I'm just thankful for what we have now.
Lately I've been thinking, "These are the best days." Our family is young enough that all our children are still home with us. Our youngest is still a baby (sort of, but I can't say that for much longer). We have little ones to keep us laughing and big ones to laugh with. What more could we want?







7 comments:
Wow, I could have written this post word for word! I am right where you are and enjoying it just as much. I love the freedom our schedule brings, and I love laughing at the little ones with the older ones. Life is good, isn't it?
Amy is the EXACT person I thought of as I read this post!!! Too funny. You do sound like you found your niche, Carmen.
Just for the record, Carmen is VERY organized and on top of things, so I am sure that this more relaxed approach to h/sing is sitting well with her.
Cindy
BTW, Allie, the braces look good :).
Who is walking with Meghan?
Cindy
Cindy,
That's Leah walking with Meghan...giggling together and always up to something. :)
Loved your post and pictures. You're an encouragement to me; and enjoy those years with everyone home!
Connie
this sounds so much like my family!!! Some of the same struggles we go through..... It brings tears to my eyes thinking and pondering this!!! thanks so much for posting!!!
-emily w.
Hi Carmen - Your pictures are absolutely beautiful! What joy and color. :)
I am one of those schedule-lovers as well...I am so thankful that my husband sees the need to have one in the home even though he is NOT the type of person to need one himself. The fact that Daddy supports Mommy's schedule keeps things (and me) sane and moving.
Jenny
Post a Comment