Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Growing Up

Gavin is one of those kids that isn't in a hurry to grow up.  He likes to snuggle and he needs to feel safe and secure.  Home is a great place for him.  Often he will stand beside me, put an arm around me and say, "Mommy, I just love you." 

When he's ready to learn or try something new he needs lots of loving encouragment.  It takes a lot of patience and at times it has been exasperating.  But I think we are making progress.  He is becoming more confident.  He's willing to try things.

He goes to Sunday school without Daddy.

Yesterday he agreed to put skates on and went around the rink a few times.

With Meghan's enthusiastic encouragement he's learning the alphabet...


And...drumroll....he is going to stop sucking his thumb.  This is a really big deal for a little boy whose favourite thing is to snuggle, thumb in mouth and monkey by his side. He is also trying to break the habit of biting his nails.  I bought some nail biter the other day.  I didn't put it on him right away and he kept reminding me, "Mommy, remember you were going to put that stuff on my thumb and nails?"  Finally, when we finished supper, I set aside time to do it and I warned him that it would taste awful but that it was to help him.  He was eager to go ahead with it.  Gerald and I went out for a walk and when we came back we were greeted with a wail, "I didn't want you to buy that stuff!  It tastes disgusting! Waaaa!" Last night he begged and begged me not to put it on.  So I gave him a choice.  He could wear a mitten to bed (and it had to still be on when we checked him after he fell asleep) or he had to have the 'stuff' painted on his thumb.  He wailed. He begged.  He sobbed.  I encouraged.  I hugged. And then I bribed...


And finally he agreed.  We struck a deal.  If he could keep the mitten on, we would get him a treat.  He chose gum.  So now for every night that he keeps his end of the bargain he gets a piece of gum the next day.  There are 14 pieces in the pack, so that will get us to the two week point.  I think it will take longer than that to break the habit, but at that point he will be convinced that he can do it.  And if not, well, there's always that disgusting stuff to resort to.


But that's enough growing up for now.  I'm not ready to lose my little snuggler just yet.

3 comments:

Sarah by the Sea said...

Gavin did GREAT in Sunday School last week--we were so excited for him!! :)

Vanderpolclan said...

We are trying to convince Bethany that she needs to quit sucking her fingers, but we have not pushed it too much just yet. Toilet training Ryan and visiting with Grandma (who left today :( ) was enough for now. In a few weeks, maybe.

Cindy

Cinnamon said...

I love the name Gavin!! Our second born son is Gavin. All our kiddos start with a "g" and we love it~

Great job encouraging and loving~

Thank you for your sweet comments on our blog~

~Cinnamon