Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

This and that...

Today we had a two little girls over for a few hours while their mom was out for some appointments.  We took some of the 'girl' toys upstairs since our basement play area isn't ideal for really little people.  Of course, Nadia thought it was great to have something other than baby toys, trains, and trucks to play with, so I think the doll and kitchen stuff will be staying upstairs for a while. 

I didn't know that boys could be giggly.  With the little girls here they were excited and went into show-off mode.  They even joined in the girl play - having 'supper' and pushing babies in strollers.  Made me smile to see them playing the way the big girls used to.  I guess that is one advantage of having the boys and girls of the family mixed up a bit.  We went from all girl play to the other extreme of boy play.  The boys do play with girl toys once in a while - only not anything like they're intended.  The tap of the kitchen set becomes a pistol, a purse becomes a pouch for gun powder, almost any item qualifies for target practice...you get the picture. :)

Tonight I went to the last of the photography classes.   I'm so glad to have had the opportunity.  It was good to review the basics, which were all new and confusing concepts the first time I went through the course a year and a half ago.  I certainly haven't mastered them yet, but at least I have some idea of what they mean and how they make a difference.  The assignments forced me to go beyond my usual shots to try new things.  I really had to think about what was in front of the lens, instead of just shooting.  I'm hoping to find another source of assignments (maybe one assignment every week or two) to keep me working at it.  Any recommendations?


I still have not come to a decision on the paint colour for Emily and Nadia's room.  That project has kind of been put on the back burner for now.  Thanks for the input on it...some great ideas!  One of these days I'll sit down with the colour fan and make a choice.  This week we, that is, Gerald and the girls got started on Leah and Meghan's room.  When we moved in we said it would be one of the first to get done because it was so dark and had so many screw pops.  Now, more than three years later, we are finally getting around to it.
Of course, we can't get away with just painting.  Gerald has to mud and sand until the walls are in a state of perfection before any primer goes on.  I like it to be done well, too, but I tell him that we will never be holding bright lights up at all angles for inspection, so they don't have to be flawless. But he won't let his standards slide, even for a job that doesn't pay. :)  So the prep work seems to take a loooong time, but in the end it always looks great.
Being tall has its advantages...
The girls are so excited to be getting their room done at last...
And lest I feel left out...
I'm planning to take the two girls shopping later this week so they can choose new comforters and from there we'll decide on a wall colour.  We'll keep you posted. :)

1 comment:

Vanderpolclan said...

I love the note on the walls - probably the only time they have not gotten into trouble for writing on the walls!!

Can't wait to see what it looks like after it is redone.

Cindy