Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

He's Reading!

When we made the decision to home educate our kids, the thing that intimidated me the most was teaching  kids how to read.  As it turns out, it is one of the things I enjoy the most.  *Gasp*  I can still say that after teaching Emily?! Time has a great way of dimming the memory, perhaps in part because she is an avid reader now. :)  It does have it's moments of exasperation, but, oh, what a feeling of accomplishment when they suddenly 'get it'! 

Brent is 'getting it'.  The world of print is opening up to him, and that is exciting and sometimes funny. A few weeks ago we were in the health food store and he told me that he needed a washroom.  I told him I didn't think they had one for customers to use.  He said, "I think they do.  See the sign? It says bathroom."  He pointed up at a poster on the wall advertising some sort of remedy.  It read, "Are you making frequent trips to the bathroom?" :)

On Saturday we went to visit Gerald's mom.  Since her apartment wasn't designed for entertaining twelve, we had planned to have a picnic lunch at a park.  It turned out to be a rainy day, so Mom reserved the common room of the retirement home.  We spread out our lunch and were about to eat when Brent informed us that there was a sign posted telling us, 'No smacking.' :)


Miss Nadia has found a way to protect her hands while she's crawling around outside...


If she wants to attempt a trick like this, she's going to need protection for her head, too...

Wouldn't learning to walk be simpler?

I took this shot when the kids were enjoying "the best snack ever" - raw rhubarb dipped in sugar. :P
Hope your day is sweet. :)

2 comments:

♥ Amy said...

I enjoyed Brent's mistakes. :)
That last picture is terrific. I love the line-up!

Vanderpolclan said...

Nadia is a very creative girl!!! Not sure I would recommend the stairs that way though :).

Isn't it wonderful when they start reading? Just the other day Daniel started reading aloud the book I was reading. I was so surprised at his fluency.

Happy birthday Justine!!! So, when do you go for your drivers???

Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful holiday!!

Cindy