Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pavlova

With summer's fresh fruit just around the corner (I know it doesn't feel much like it now with the cold, rainy and even snowy! weather we've been having) and since I've had some requests for this recipe I thought I would post it here. It's a family favourite and for me it brings back memories of pleasant summer evenings back home on the farm. :)


Pavlova
Ingredients for base:
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp almond extract

Method:
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff.  Gradually beat in half of the white sugar.
In a separate bowl mix other half of white sugar with icing sugar and corn starch.  Sprinkle over egg white mixture, add the almond extract and fold in. 
Form mixture into a 9 or 10 inch 'nest' on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (not wax paper).  Bake at 250F for about 1 hour. Cool and carefully remove from paper to a serving tray or board (something you can cut it on.)
Top with 2 cups whipped cream and fruit.  We like to use strawberries or blueberries. Serves 10. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Household of Faith said...

Did you make this for the ladies society meeting last Wednesday? It was delicious!! I made something like this once, but it went soggy really fast. I just may try out the recipe. Thanks for posting! And I love checking out your blog!

Mel said...

Thanks! I can't wait to use it!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I really enjoyed this last Wednesday - thanks for posting the recipe! I have all those ingredients right now, so I may have to try it this weekend!

Vanderpolclan said...

Thanks for posting the recipe - Megan and I were going to make these but couldn't find the recipe :)

Cindy

Annie Kate said...

Ooooh! This looks so good.

Our strawberries have flowers, so we'll be able to try this in a few weeks.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Annie Kate