Since you asked...

This picture is one of my favourites. When I was looking through the picture files to make the header I selected it just for that reason. In the end it didn't really fit in with the theme of the header, but it got left in only because I didn't take it out. :) Anyway, I took this shot a few years back on a visit to a pioneer village, where a lady was demonstrating tatting. Tatting is a way of making lace through a series of knots using a shuttle. You can see the the end of the shuttle in her right hand. The tape on her left pointer finger has a line drawn on it (you can't see that on the picture) for measuring the size of the picots (the loops of thread between the knots.) The lace is less delicate and more durable than traditional lace and is easier to make. At one point in history it was known as 'poor man's lace.' In the next picture you can see Allison paying close attention...
And with some help from my mom, Allie has taken up the craft herself...
My grandmother used to tat and make traditional lace, and did many other kinds of fine handwork. Most of these are becoming lost arts, so it's neat to see it being revived and passed on.
Thanks for asking. :)
4 comments:
How neat! I love pictures of hands and I wondered if it was lace...but it was too small to be sure. Thanks. :)
Jenny
Oh, and here I thought it was one of your relatives... so much for keeping to the theme :) Maybe we can "just imagine" that she was related.
Just looked at this picture again... it truly is beautiful!
Jenny,
Thanks. It has imperfections, but it captures something that I like. Hands are intriguing. If you look on the zoomed out shot you can see how the sun is shining right on her hands - that's what suddenly made me think of zooming in. I'm glad I did. :)
Post a Comment