Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just do the next thing...

I feel dull and unmotivated today.  Sort of like the weather.  I'm not complaining about the weather - actually I really dislike complaints about the weather so I try not to do that, ever.  It just happens that I feel greyish on a grey day.  I shouldn't feel this way.  Plenty of wonderful things are happening.  I have a cozy fire going. The kids are all happily occupied and Nadia is having a long nap.  I had a nap. A friend gave birth to a baby girl this morning. I'm sure the baby is beautiful and I'd love to see her, only they live three hours away.  We got some nice, personal mail two days in a row. (Thank you, friends! Especially for the DVD - too funny.)
My way of dealing with an unmotivated day is to follow a simple rule I learned when I was experiencing a difficult time after Gavin was born: just do the next thing.  One thing at a time.  Don't try to decide what should happen next.  I keep a list of the day's chores on the counter so I just go to the list and do one thing on it.  Then I go back and do the next.  It isn't the most efficient way of operating, but at least it keeps me going and the day is somewhat productive.
I have not even picked up the camera today, other than to take out the memory card to download yesterday's pics. Maybe I should put 'take pictures' on my list.  At the very top. Of course, then I might never get to the second thing on the list...

So here are some not-from-today shots:

Look at the difference between  Kizzy's fur in colour,

And black and white:
It really changes him, doesn't it? 

Last week's photography homework was to take a picture of a person using the rule of thirds, with something in the backround that 'said' something about them.  We had a hard time choosing between this one:

And this one:


So at last we put Justine and Leah's names on pieces of paper and Leah's got picked.  Each week we have to email our homework to the instructor and then in class he projects them onto a screen to view and comment on them.  He is not critical, he just uses them to demonstrate a point he is teaching.  He did have say something complimentary to say about this one, so that was encouraging.

I really like this next one, but didn't submit it because it didn't fit in with the rule of thirds. It's hard to tell her exact age here.  I think she looks older than she really is.  To the older girls' chagrin, Leah is often mistaken as the oldest.

Well, that's all for tonight.  Our computer is acting up (or is it blogger?) so I had better end this here.  Good night!

5 comments:

jennstar said...

Your pictures turned out lovely of both girls. The bottom picture of Leah is really captivating of her...I think how her eyes look so expressive.

I have often done that with a list of "to do" things on the kitchen counter and whenever I had that lost and overwhelmed feeling I would go read the next thing. It kept me going. I refer to it as "using my saner moments to dictate me later when in confusion". ;)
Jenny

Anonymous said...

hi carmen
you really can make nice pictures wich speek... so also in europe its gray... and also know how you feel on such a day...the snow and ice are gone now for almost a week and its only 5 to 7 degrees outside you would say its fall again.. with rain and lots of gray days.
this morning at 5.30 i was awakend with lovely coffie smell stepping out of bed i was warmed with love for my husband.. looking for him wanting to thank him i finally found him sound asleep in bed...and later stumbeld across my oldest son jacco , he had made coffie for his mom... so sweet, acually i couldent help thinking wat does he want from me....but nothing just done out of love...

greatings from holland
ruth vink

Vanderpolclan said...

Glad you liked the DVD :) made Mark's day :)

I love the pictures of the girls. That is a really neat way of doing things. Did they like the "pretties" for their hair? Megan and Kathryn made them.

I see Meghan still LOVES her bear. I like the picture in black and white. Thanks for sharing your homework. That way we can learn too.
Thanks for the reminder of Doing the Next Thing. I needed that. again....
Cindy

Carmen said...

Cindy,
The girls did a great job making the hair bows - thank you Megan and Kathryn!
A play is going to happen in the basement tonight - we should video it and send it to the producer. :)

Carmen said...

Ruth,
So neat to hear from you in Holland! How sweet of Jacco to make you coffee. He must be getting some good training. :)