Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

A math game to try...

Instead of doing a regular math lesson on Friday, I dug this game out to play with Warren and Emily.  The older girls and I had made it together years ago.  It's simple to play and great for practicing addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  We made a game board out of a square piece of cardboard.  The we divided it into 36 squares and wrote the numbers in as you see them on the picture:
 
We made 36 playing chips in three colours, 12 of each colour.  To play you need three dice.  In turn, each player rolls all three dice, then uses the numbers on them to add, subtract, multiply and/or divide to come to a final answer.  For example with 2, 4, and 5 you could do 2+4=6,x5=30 or 2x5=10, +4=14 or whatever other combination you want.  The player then places one of his/her coloured chips on that number. Then the next player takes a turn and so on until all the numbers are covered.  This is simple at the beginning when there are few numbers covered, but gets more challenging as the game progresses.  If a player is unable to come to an answer that is still open on the board, play passes to the next player. First player to use up all his/her chips wins. You could add a challenge to the game by awarding points for a player forming rows of his own colour.

A glorious sunset:

Today we went to visit Gerald's mom. For a while the kids kept busy playing games and doing puzzles.
Then Gerald took them outside for a game of hockey in the parking lot.  I took this picture from the balcony, through some tree branches.  Brent (bottom right) was doing his own thing  until Gerald told him, "Brent, we're playing hockey, not Bonanza."

Meanwhile, I stayed inside to try to get Miss Nadia to have a nap. I wasn't successful, but at least I was warm. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really nice picture of Mom and Nadia it looks like Mom needs the nap though Keep Smiling Diana

jennstar said...

The math game looks fun! Even better that we can make it ourselves!
We all chuckled over the little guy sighting down his hockey stick. :)
That is a beautiful picture of you and Nadia. Very soft and sweet. I am sure she will treasure it when she is older!
Your header is wonderful! I enjoyed looking at each little picture and the way you have the title in script is very creative. I was wondering what the picture in the top right corner was? I was interested whose hands they were and what they were holding.
Jenny

Vanderpolclan said...

I agree with Di. It looks like you were just using Nadia as an excuse.

So, how long did BA play hockey BEFORE he started playing Bonanza? very cute.

I love the sunset picture. We like our trees to block the snow, but they do disrupt our view a little.

Cindy

Carmen said...

The camera doesn't lie...I was sleepy. Sitting in a warm place will do that to me. Had I, like Nadia, had a bed to sleep in I would have been sensible enough to make good use of it. :) I do hope to outgrow the need for a nap someday...