Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blessings


You're just getting out of your car when a large van pulls up, parks, and as you watch, one child after another jumps out. You count because you can't help yourself.  You want to know, "Just how many kids are going to come out of that van?" (I know you do it...and I do it too.  It's fascinating. :)  And look at them...they all march in such an orderly fashion, bigger kids helping little ones, mom with the baby on her hip, everything under control.  Amazing, isn't it?  Life in a big family must be easier somehow. 

It's called the swan effect.

Everything is smooth and serene on the surface.  But underneath it's hard paddling.

Often I am asked how we do it.  We don't do it in our own strength.  We need to depend on God for the strength and wisdom we need.  Parenting is hard work.  Sometimes I try to do it without looking to God for everything. Before long I'm tired, frustrated and discouraged. I want to quit. Sometimes I even wish they were all moved out, married, with kids of their own just like themselves

Most people would agree that children are a blessing.  What do we mean by that, exactly?  Do we say that because of the fulfillment we feel from having them, the satisfaction we get from the experience?  The laughs we have over their cute antics and clever comments?  Or the happiness we feel when they've done something well?  Maybe because we hope that they will take care of us in our old age? Although these things may be part of it, in themselves they seem a little weak and self-serving. There are probably many reasons why God tells us that children are a blessing, but one thing in particular has been on my mind for a while.  God blesses us by using our children to show us more of who we are, and then molds us into who He wants us to be.  When we parent we are forced to take a hard look at ourselves.  We see our own weaknesses.  I cringe when I hear myself in my children's sharp replies.  Or when I impatiently demand that they be more patient, when I crab at them to stop bickering, and when I am harsh with them for immature behaviour or innocent mistakes.  Through our children, I learn more of what it is to show love, patience, kindness, self-control, to have a servant heart, etc.  I have had to learn these lessons again and again.  I am a slow learner.  And I'm not done learning yet.

Both we and our children are sinners, in need of the redeeming work of Jesus Christ. He lived righteously so that we could be made righteous, and died to pay the debt of our sin so that we could have peace with God.  The Holy Spirit sanctifies us and through Him we are able to live to the glory of God.

And, just so you know, I really do love being a mom most of the time. And I know that even when it's hard going, my children are blessings.  Not because of how I feel, but because God says so in His Word.

Psalm 128:1-4 "Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in His ways. When you eat the labour of your hands, you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.  Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house, your children like olive plants all around your table.  Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the LORD."

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

My conscience always cringes too...when I impatiently demand that they be more patient, when I crab at them to stop bickering.....

We MUST be sisters! I think I might have mentioned that before;)

Lately in this household we have a complainer-and I can agree with you-God is blessing me by showing me who I am. Now for the molding into what He wants me to be...

Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Great post Carmen!
I know what you mean - the days I try to do things on my own are the worst days. The best days are the days started with a prayer for strength, wisdom and patience. The parent-child relationship is such a great picture of ourselves with God - we are SO slow to learn some things!